Aimed at spreading the use of computers amongst the college/university level students to bring about a technology revolution and bridge the digital divide
Dongles / internet connection would be included in the package
Students registered in HEC approved public sector educational institutions. Full coverage for research oriented courses such as PhD, M.Phl, MS etc masters/doctoral students and under-graduate students will get laptop.Associate Engineer Diploma students in polytechnics will also be included.
For further details visit http://www.hec.gov.pk/laptops
100,000 students per year
Higher Education Commission (HEC)/Ministry of Education and Trainings. To be designed and implemented based on the same pattern and parameters as adopted in the Punjab.
Phase-II (FY: 2014-18):
- Budget Allocations in FY 2014-18: Rs. 21 Billions
- Following PPRA rules, contract for the supply of 200,000 2-in-1 detachable laptops was signed with successful bidder (M/s Haier Electrical Appliances Corp. China) on 12 August 2015.
- As per the contract, 50,000 laptops will be imported while the remaining 150,000 laptops are going to be assembled locally in Pakistan at Haier Industrrial Park, Lahore.
- HEC has informed that 50,000 laptops have been received from China in the godowns of M/s Hier Pakistan.
- Testing of selected samples has been completed satisfactorily, and HEC has started their distribution since 11 May 2016.
Phase-I (FY: 2013-14):
- Budget Allocations in FY 2013-14: Rs. 4.5 Billions
- HEC has so far distributed 93004 laptops to PhD, MPhil/MS, Master's and bachelor's students of universities all over Pakistan.
- Haier has set up local assembly unit at Raiwind Road Lahore.
- 1000 laptops have been locally assembled as per the contract.